Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Using oil emulsion cutting fluid for hand tapping

On 2008-01-18, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

Out of curiosity -- what metals are you tapping with this?

Aluminum, 5025 or 2025 alloy to be precise.

O.K.

I would expect it to work well on a steel -- especially a tough steel, but
I'm not sure that it would be any better than kerosene or WD-40 (if as
good) on aluminum alloys.

I'll be trying in in 1018 steel soon enough.

My impression is that WS-5050 worked better in aluminum than kerosene or
alcohol. Or Tap Magic.

Hmm ... the *original* Tap Magic was a *very* bad choice with
aluminum. Purple smoke, rust on the tap, and discoloration on the
aluminum. :-)

I bet one can dissolve WS-5050 concentrate in kerosene, and it might be
useful.

Perhaps so. Or it *might* even *have* some kerosene in it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564