Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default New small lathe? Which one?

On Jan 18, 7:32 pm, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:09:00 -0800 (PST), Gerry
wrote:

Just curious-if y'all had, say, $4K to spend on a new small lathe,
what would you buy? Guidelines-11 to13 inch swing, 36" or so between
centers, single phase power and a minimum of 1 3/8" spindle bore, 1
1/2" preferred. I am located in Louisiana so shipping is also an issue
because it affects the overall total cost. Seem to be quite a few out
there in this class and all of unknown quality, to me at least.

Don't know, but I wouldn't worry about the single phase. Three phase
is easky with a VFD with single phase input, and at very reasonable
prices. Or if you like to roll your own, build a phase converter. I
have heard that three phase gives a lot smoother finish in some
circumstances, primarily because the power never goes to zero like a
single phase does twice each cycle. Also, single phase motors of any
size are more expensive and harder to find.

Pete Keillor

Having to build/buy a rotary or static converter just adds more
expense and eats up space in my small shop. This is a residentail area
so 3 ph power is now available, either. Single phase has to be cheaper
to start with.

I have an old Sheldon and I am tired of trying to get a few more
months from it every time something fails. Just want something that I
won't have to work on as often and new seems to me to be the way to go.