Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default New small lathe? Which one?

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:09:00 -0800 (PST), Gerry
wrote:

Just curious-if y'all had, say, $4K to spend on a new small lathe,
what would you buy? Guidelines-11 to13 inch swing, 36" or so between
centers, single phase power and a minimum of 1 3/8" spindle bore, 1
1/2" preferred. I am located in Louisiana so shipping is also an issue
because it affects the overall total cost. Seem to be quite a few out
there in this class and all of unknown quality, to me at least.

=================
A suggestion here.

A lathe without attachments and accessories is minimally useful
[except for making accessories..]

It is not uncommon for person to invest as much in accessories as
the basic lathe by the time their shop is "tooled up."

Be sure and check about the price/availability of chucks, collet
adapters, steady rests, traveling rests, rear mounted cut-off
tool holders, quick change tool holders, spindle crank, and
milling attachments/vises for the specific models you are
interested in.

On the other hand, if you have a face plate, a few clamps, head
stock/tail stock centers, some sort of lathe tool holder, and a
tail stock drill chuck, you will be able to do most any machine
job, but the set-up time may be extended. If you have these
basics you can make many of the accessories such as the quick
change tool holders at considerable cost savings while honing
your machining skills.