Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default A serious discussion about the need for more gun control

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:36:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

Pfffht. From the American Heritage Dictionary, which is the most
*prescriptive* dictionary in America:

"When the relevant point of focus is not the place of speaking itself, the
difference obviously depends on the context. We can say either The labor
leaders brought or took their requests to the mayor's office, depending on
whether we want to describe things from the point of view of the labor
leaders or the mayor. Perhaps for this reason, the distinction between bring
and take has been blurred in some areas; a parent may say of a child, for
example, She always takes a pile of books home with her from school. This
usage may sound curious to those who are accustomed to observe the
distinction more strictly, but it bears no particular stigma of
incorrectness or illiteracy."

The usage here is completely arbitrary: it depends upon whether the speaker
(me) is at home, taking the snake, or at school, bringing the snake. There
is no "here" or "there" in my original sentence.

In my world, "to school" is the same as "there". And the parent should
have said her daughter "brought them home from school" because she was
home, or "here".

Here's a quote from Websters: "Merriam-Webster's quotes the 1984 edition of
the Longman Dictionary of the English Language, which says, "Either verb
can be used when the point of view is irrelevant." The entry continues with
an example of a couple who are about to leave home for a concert; the wife
says, "Don't forget to bring the umbrella." Merriam-Webster's says that the
wife "is already thinking of being at the concert and possibly needing the
umbrella. The notion of direction exists entirely in her head; it does not
refer to her immediate external surroundings."

She was right. He brought it to her in the car and they left.

This is a typical schoolmarm distinction that doesn't really exist in the
language, like splitting infinitives (it's done all the time by the best
writers, and always has been) or not ending a sentence with a preposition
(it's not English; it's not anything, actually). When we start getting
formal, I'll listen. (But I probably won't agree.) However, this is a
distinction that, as AHD says, is blurred in real use.

Well, schoolmarm Larry thinks it's much less blurred. Pffffht!

--
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-- Mark Twain