Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29897 Ignoramus29897 is offline

Default Are higher grade bolts more brittle?

On 2008-01-18, clare at snyder.on.ca clare wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:44:02 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Is it just me, or does that argument make no sense?

Chris

This whole discussion makes no sense to me. Stronger is stronger.
Would you rather have a joint fail (by bending) at some stress
or have it fail at a LOT higher stress by breaking. It's a no-
brainer to me.
...lew...

Unless you are 15000 feet in the air when something goes wrong. Rather
bend and hold than snap. You can't afford the extra weight to make
something that will neither bend nor snap.

As was pointed out here, at the lad at which the low grade bolt would
completely fail, the high grade bolt would not even bend.