Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default metal question for the group

On Jan 18, 6:48 am, Bill Kehm wrote:
Recently I purchased a man's solitaire ring that was supposed to be
solid Platinum. The price reflected this fact and it was purchased from
a reputable jewelry store. They had to order the blank and then set the
diamond I bought. It is a beautiful ring. I "accidentally" was playing
with a magnet and wow! it stuck to the ring. I was not aware of platinum
having magnetic properties so I wanted to ask the group if anyone had
any information on the properties of platinum. I know gold and silver
are non-magnetic.

Sincerely,
Bill Kehm

I just checked some platinum wire and screen with a REALLY strong
magnet and no attraction whatsoever. My platinum came from a gas
reaction chamber used in an old auto emissions test machine.

I think I would go talk to your jeweler. I think platinum is up over
$2,000 per ounce, so what did you pay?

Paul