Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default metal question for the group

"Bill Kehm" wrote in message
Recently I purchased a man's solitaire ring that was supposed to be solid
Platinum. The price reflected this fact and it was purchased from a
reputable jewelry store. They had to order the blank and then set the
diamond I bought. It is a beautiful ring. I "accidentally" was playing
with a magnet and wow! it stuck to the ring. I was not aware of platinum
having magnetic properties so I wanted to ask the group if anyone had any
information on the properties of platinum. I know gold and silver are
non-magnetic.

Sincerely,
Bill Kehm

The traditional jewelry platinum alloys contain 5-10% iridium and are not
magnetic. However, because of their enormous surface tension, they do not
cast well in intricate molds.

In modern times, jewelry manufacturers relies heavily on casting technology
to produce products in a cost effective manner. To address this, they
developed a platinum alloy containing 5% cobalt instead of the iridium. This
alloy is slightly magnetic.

Paul K. Dickman