Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle Randy Replogle is offline

Default metal question for the group

Bill Kehm wrote:
Recently I purchased a man's solitaire ring that was supposed to be
solid Platinum. The price reflected this fact and it was purchased from
a reputable jewelry store. They had to order the blank and then set the
diamond I bought. It is a beautiful ring. I "accidentally" was playing
with a magnet and wow! it stuck to the ring. I was not aware of platinum
having magnetic properties so I wanted to ask the group if anyone had
any information on the properties of platinum. I know gold and silver
are non-magnetic.

Sincerely,
Bill Kehm

If I remember correctly, the only magnetic metals are iron, steel,
cobalt, and nickel.
Randy