Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing mixer tap on kitchen sink

Lobster wrote:
Ian Chard wrote:

I want to replace the horrible twee gold-effect mixer tap on my
kitchen sink with something less offensive, and have a couple of
questions: - The sink has a single tap hole. Are all such tap holes
created
equal, i.e. if I buy a replacement from (say) screwfix, will it fit?
The sink is a generic cheap plastic thing.

AFAIK it should be fine - I've never come across different sized
holes.

Neither have I and monoblock changing is a popular job.

- At the moment the pipes look like they go straight into the tap. I'd
like to install isolating valves, so do I need to go: original
pipe - valve - a bit more pipe - tap hose? Or is there an easier
way?

Pretty much, yes. You can certainly buy flexible hoses (comprerssion
or speedfit) which have built-in valves on the non-tap end, but am
not sure whether they are available for monobloc hoses (as opposed to
0.5" tap connectors). Have a shufti on Screwfix.com at the link the
other guy gave you.

They are available to screw straight into the tap, but there are several
sizes. Might be best to pay a little more at a plumbers merchant & get the
right size.

Fit the flexi tails to the pipe before you fit it to the sink; it's a
lot easier if you do this before fitting the sink to the worktop - can
be very awkward to gain access to the below-sink tap clamp.

Indeed! If the sink is staying in place though, its well worth buying a
cheap set of the special box spanners - the clamp can be a bugger to do up
without them.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk