Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] letterman@invalid.com is offline

Default Deburring Conduit (EMT)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:51:13 -0600, bud--
wrote:

Twayne wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:59:52 GMT, dicko
wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using a tubing cutter to cut 1/2" EMT. Works great, but leaves a
burr on the inside surface of the conduit. So I bought a Greenlee
deburring tool.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/greenlee/54696/

But I cant fit it into the conduit to get the burr off! The burr is
of such a size that it narrows down the inner diameter of the conduit
so much that the tool wont fit into the conduit to do its thing.

Is there a different deburring tool to use? Different cutting tool?
Is this just a crappy deburring tool? Is there something wrong with
my cutting technique?

What you're doing wrong is using a tubing cutter. Use a hacksaw. EMT

Pipe cutters are made expressly for this purpose.

I've never seen an electrician use anything but a hacksaw (or sawzall)
to cut EMT. Tubing cutters aren't used - they roll a sharp edge on the
inside. Like several others, I use Kleins to debur.

Same here. Although I did try an angle grinder with a cutting wheel,
and it worked, but requires a securing the conduit securely and is a
bit hard to make an accurate cut, plus leaves burrs. By the time I do
all of that, a hacksaw is easier. Kleins and other wire cutters and
even plyers if they are shaped properly deburr just fine. That Rolled
Edge from a common tubing cutter is one way to cause the wires to be
sliced and cause a short. Far too much deburring is required to
eliminate them. Some people like to make a mountain out of a mole
hill, and/or seem to think that a power tool is needed for everything.

On the other hand, the OP posted a link to the deburring tool he
purchased. For the heck of it, I looked at that tool.
Then I searched the same website and found they do sell an EMT cutter
(like a tubing cutter), that claims to make a clean cut without a need
to debur. Here's the link:
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/greenlee/11915

I'm curious how this works, and if it's worth the $32?
It looks much like a standard tubing cutter, but must have a special
cutting wheel. Most of the issues with tubing cutters are all due to
the angle of the cutting edge of this wheel.

If I was in the business, I would probably buy one just to see how
well it works, but for the occasional conduit I cut, a one dollar
hacksaw blade works just fine.