Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Default can "bad wiring" destroy a TV?

IMHO: Sounds the the Landlord should have the set professionally inspected,
paying the estimate (service) fees, to absolutely determine what may have
actually caused the problem. (Not to pay for repairing the set unless
definative proof of fault is presented.)
Word of mouth from either the Tenent and/or Landlord will only continue to
cause no relevant resolution for either party. Otherwise this may turn into
a legal push-pull with no easy end in sight. FWIWthe tenent basically
would be considered liable for any repairs but to cover one's dairere it
may be wise for the landlord to consider at least having it professionally
inspected.

"Ralph in NH" wrote in message
. net...
"swansnow" wrote in message
I don't have any details of the situation, so I'm just looking for a
ballpark, well-in-theory, kind of answer.

I had a tenant say that her TV was "destroyed" (I don't know what that
means exactly) and that the fire department said that it was "bad
wiring" in the house, and that we need to bring in an electrician to
fix it. It's perfectly plausible that the wiring is bad - it's an old
house, and the previous owner did DIY work on the wiring and messed a
few things up.

So I'm wondering how would "bad wiring" cause a TV to get destroyed?
I've never heard of this before.

Have you determined exactly what constitutes "destroyed?" I found out the
hard way in the 90s that the near-ubiquitous RCA motherboards had
grounding issues with the front-end can. Research (here among other
places) revealed that lousy soldering on the shield could cause the main
chip to lose its programming, resulting in an otherwise perfect TV being
useless. I could see that being triggered by power/grounding issues. My
problems started with a building-wide fire alarm going off, perhaps
coincidental.

Best regards,
Ralph in NH