Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Deburring Conduit (EMT)

Twayne wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:59:52 GMT, dicko
wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using a tubing cutter to cut 1/2" EMT. Works great, but leaves a
burr on the inside surface of the conduit. So I bought a Greenlee
deburring tool.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/greenlee/54696/

But I cant fit it into the conduit to get the burr off! The burr is
of such a size that it narrows down the inner diameter of the conduit
so much that the tool wont fit into the conduit to do its thing.

Is there a different deburring tool to use? Different cutting tool?
Is this just a crappy deburring tool? Is there something wrong with
my cutting technique?

What you're doing wrong is using a tubing cutter. Use a hacksaw. EMT

Pipe cutters are made expressly for this purpose.

I've never seen an electrician use anything but a hacksaw (or sawzall)
to cut EMT. Tubing cutters aren't used - they roll a sharp edge on the
inside. Like several others, I use Kleins to debur.

--
bud--