Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default Installing dimmer switch in old house

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 17, 1:59 pm, Kbalz wrote:
On Jan 17, 1:35 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 17, 1:24 pm, "Twayne" wrote:

pgcampbell wrote:
I want to install a dimmer switch to control the lighting in my
dining room. My house was built in 1925.
There are two light switches connected to one workbox. One light
switch controlls the light in my dining room. The second
lightswitch currently does not contol anything. At one time it
probably contolled the light in the kitchen but the kitchen was
remodeled 50 years ago and the lights in there are gone.

When I removed the faceplate to the workbox I found two wires
inside. They are not color coded. One wire connected to the top
of lightwitch number one ( controllng my dining room light). The
second wire looped around a copper screw at the bottom of
lightswitch number one and then continued on to lightswitch
number 2 where it terminated.

How would I then install a dimmer to control the lighting in my
dining room? I believe the top wire is hot.
The bottom wire to lightswitch number two...is that a grounding
wire...treated as a green wire? Or is that
the second hot wire...treated as a black wire?

Ouch. If you can't tell which is hot and which is neutral and from
your wording about green, you are definitely not qualified to
learn/do this task safely for you or for your house.

In a house that old there may not be ANY semblence of order to the
color or use of the wiring and even if the colors can be
determined, they aren't necessarily connected right back at the
fuse/breaker box.

At LEAST get a basic electricity understanding and a cheap
voltmeter/ohmmeter before tackling this job and definitely have
someone knowledgable check out your plans.- Hide quoted text -

you are definitely not qualified to learn

Wow! You were able to make this assessment of the OP's ability to
learn from just one post.

You have an amazing talent that you should market to corporate head
hunters, educational institutions, major league sport teams and
countless other organizations.

Real men leave the breaker on- Hide quoted text -

Real men leave the breaker on

I was a real man once...and have the scars to show it.

Ran 400 VDC in one hand and out the other, all the while holding a 30
lb power supply at arm's length while I twitched around shouting "Turn
it off! Turn it off!"

A classmate (USCG training class) pulled the plug and saved my life.
Me and my bloody hands came back the next day but 2 other guys quit.

lol, that's a good sea story! Lucky thing it was DC, eh? Wasn't that
the worst taste you ever had in your mouth? Bet you never did that
again either, did you?

Cheers,

Twayne