Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default Deburring Conduit (EMT)

wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:59:52 GMT, dicko
wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using a tubing cutter to cut 1/2" EMT. Works great, but leaves a
burr on the inside surface of the conduit. So I bought a Greenlee
deburring tool.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/greenlee/54696/

But I cant fit it into the conduit to get the burr off! The burr is
of such a size that it narrows down the inner diameter of the conduit
so much that the tool wont fit into the conduit to do its thing.

Is there a different deburring tool to use? Different cutting tool?
Is this just a crappy deburring tool? Is there something wrong with
my cutting technique?

-dickm

What you're doing wrong is using a tubing cutter. Use a hacksaw. EMT

Pipe cutters are made expressly for this purpose.

Tubing cutters crush the pipe. They're made for SOFT materials like
copper tubing.

Or galvanized water pipe, or ABS, or ... any number of materials. The
right tool for the job is the name of that game. I assure you I'll run
circles around your hacksawing with my pipe cutter in at least a 3 to 1
ratio. In fact, I'll have the first cut done before you make the first
hacksaw nick, and I'll have less of a burr too. You will end up with a
one-sided uneven burr that's more difficult to properly prepare without
excessive thinning of one side of your conduit.

BTW: I have always deburred with my side cutters or even plyers.

I know a guy who's always picked his nose and wiped it on his shirt too;
does that make it an approved and proper thing to do?

I'm glad you only do work in your own house; that's a pretty iffy and
inefficient way to deburr. I'm hoping it's only been for minor small
jobs and never of any magnitude of conduit.
Most pipe cutters also as a rule will have a little triangular
"knife" that folds out of them on the backside to deburr the pipes, even
galvanized pipes. With the right cutter and the right wheel in it, it's
a snap to cut and deburr a pipe. It's called right tool for the job.
Unfortunately those little knives aren't good hard material though and
wear out, so a proper deburring or reaming tool is a godsend if there
are many cuts to make.

Twayne