Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default Deburring Conduit (EMT)

dicko wrote:
What am I doing wrong?

I'm using a tubing cutter to cut 1/2" EMT. Works great, but leaves a
burr on the inside surface of the conduit. So I bought a Greenlee
deburring tool.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/greenlee/54696/

But I cant fit it into the conduit to get the burr off! The burr is
of such a size that it narrows down the inner diameter of the conduit
so much that the tool wont fit into the conduit to do its thing.

Is there a different deburring tool to use? Different cutting tool? Is
this just a crappy deburring tool? Is there something wrong with my
cutting technique?

-dickm

Wow, so far you've gotten a couple pretty silly responses so far, but
that seems to be the norm for this group lately; no idea why.

One good possibility for the tool not fitting is that you are being too
aggressive with the pipe cutter. The more aggressive the cut, the
larger and deeper the burr.
Another is using a copper tubing cutter for thinwall/EMT etc.. The
better ones have larger wheels and better rollers for gripping the
pipes.

You're right to use a deburring tool as it's usually the quickest and
easiest way to deburr the stuff.
Personally I use a reamer for deburring; it starts out at about 1/4"
diameter and ends at about 3/4" diameter, so it fits the job well and
leaves a nice smooth surface when you're done. Very similar to what you
have only it's a straight cone shape, not stepped in between, so you
have to pay attention.
With a reamer though you have to be careful or you'll actually create
a knife-edge at the end, which doesn't bother the wires but is kind of
dangerous for the old fingers (all 9 of them)g.

So, I'd assume the tool you bought is OK, just use a little less
aggression when doing the cutting; allow for a few more revolutions to
complete the cut-off; it should go nice and smooth.
Make sure the cutting wheel is sharp; replace if you're not sure. If
it has so much as one tiny chip, the cutting wheel is NG and must be
replaced; it'll never cut right again.
Never "bend" the pipe apart; let the tool do ALL of the cutting.
Hold the pipe steady as sometimes it'll cut open on one side of the
pipe but not the other; the rollers will hold the depth right, just keep
cutting until it falls in two. Never force it apart.
Then your tool should deburr it fine. Properly cut, there will be
very little burr from the cutting.

In a pinch, you might have to use something larger like a plier-end or
large straight slot screwdriver to start the deburr, and then finish it
with the tool. Just never let a job be "good enough" because until it's
right, it's not good enough.

Experience counts; try it, you'll see.

HTH

Twayne