Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default can "bad wiring" destroy a TV?

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:26:48 -0500, "mc"
wrote:

:"Eeyore" wrote in message
:
:
: So I'm wondering how would "bad wiring" cause a TV to get destroyed?
: I've never heard of this before.
:
: Defective neutral bonding will do this.
:
:To elaborate on that a little: If the neutral is open (doesn't go to the
:center tap of the transformer serving the house), then you have 240 volts
:across two of your circuits which are in series with each other. As long as
:the two circuits have about the same load on them, each will get about 120
:volts. But if one circuit gets a much heavier load (e.g., air conditioner),
:the other circuit gets appreciably more than 120 volts.
:

When I read such anecdotes as related in this thread it makes me thankful we
have a single domestic supply voltage for GPO's in Australian homes (240V single
phase MEN system).