Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Installing dimmer switch in old house

On Jan 17, 2:58*pm, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:
pgcampbell wrote:
I want to install a dimmer switch to control the lighting in my dining
room. *My house was built in 1925.
There are two light switches connected to one workbox. *One light
switch controlls the light in my dining room. The second lightswitch
currently does not contol anything. At one time it probably contolled
the light in the kitchen but the kitchen was remodeled 50 years ago
and the lights in there are gone.

When I removed the faceplate to the workbox I found two wires inside.
They are not color coded. *One wire connected to the top of lightwitch
number one ( controllng my dining room light). *The second wire looped
around a copper screw at the bottom of lightswitch number one and then
continued on to lightswitch number 2 where it terminated.

How would I then install a dimmer to control the lighting in my dining
room? *I believe the top wire is hot.
The bottom wire to lightswitch number two...is that a grounding
wire...treated as a green wire? *Or is that
the second hot wire...treated as a black wire?

* With all due respect, get an electrician.

Its obvious by your questions that you have no experince with this type
of work, and
and you should *not be attemping to do it based upon typed direcitons
from folksomn this group who hae not actually seen the wiring and tested
it with a meter.

Yes, an electrician can be expensive. *An electrician can also be a lot
cheaper than
a fire or an emergency room visit if you make a serious error.- Hide quoted text -

I'd like to poll all the members of this group who currently know how
to wire a switch. Please press 1, 2 or 3 based on the group you fit
into. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1 - I was born with the requisite skills to open any electrical box
and immediately understand how it is wired. I never had to open a
book, ask a question, take a course or be shown how to work on a
circuit. The first time I took a cover off a switch box I simply used
the skills inherent in my biological makeup and dove right into the
repair.

2 - The first time I wanted to replace a switch I did some research. I
asked some questions, took a book out of the library and/or asked
someone with the required knowledge to teach me how to do. After I was
confident that I understood the situation and the steps required, I
replaced the switch myself.

3 - Whenever I run into a situation where I don't have the knowledge
or skills, I put my tail between my legs and call a professional. I
don't want to learn anything new and will always be afraid to venture
into areas beyond my current scope of knowledge.