Posted to alt.home.repair
JC[_2_] JC[_2_] is offline

Default Q on septic system maintenance

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 5:55 pm, "Twayne" wrote:
Rick Blaine wrote:
"Mamba" wrote:

I met an aquaintance there who is mainly a septic system
contractor/excavator. He noted my pending purchase, and warned me
that Rid-ex and other septic system treatments were largely a waste
of money, and that they in fact conflicted with the natural bugs
that grow in the septic tank and break down wastes.

At the time, it sounded good and I decided not to buy the product.
Now I think a second opinion would be in order. Anybody have any
solid (no pun intended) info to support or refute the claim that
septic system additives do not enhance the performance of the system?

There is enough naturally occuring bacteria in human waste to make
any additive useless at best and potentially harmful. Google on
septic additive if you want prooff. Here's just one of many examples:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/septadds.htm

Would you like to see ten more for the other side? This whole thread is
so full of misinformation in both directions it's pathetic. So many
wanna be gurus; so many idiots; so many half thinkers. At least you did
cite something, even though it's pretty silly stuff, which no one else
did. The OP wasted his time here. Not unusual on this group lately.
Everyone's an expert by their own claims only.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sorry that you buy into scams.

Harry K

I'm certainly no expert but our place has been served by a septic tank for
over 60 years and the only thing that we ever do is pour a cup of yeast in
the toilet about 3 times a year. Other than that, we have never even had to
have it pumped out. I think that the older they are, the better they get due
to the bacteria that are resident there.