Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Jet-1442 VSK

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 05:56:04 -0600, Leetollett wrote:

Hay guys....

I have another newbe question about my lathe.
For the last few weeks I have been using scrap
wood and firewood to practice on, trying to learn
how each of the chisels function.

Yesterday I finally felt secure enough to start
on a small bowl. I slide the tail stock over to
the head and noticed that the two points don't
line up. They are off by about 1/4 inch up and
down and a small amount side to side. While
trying to line them up I noticed that the head
stock is not sitting solidly on the rail with the
locking handle loosened. It rocks all around until
you lock the handle. Shouldn't it rest solid like
the tail stock?? The book doesn't say anything
about this, only if the locking nut needs to be
adjusted. If it was flat on the rail then the two
points would line up.

Thanks allot guys for all your info....

Lee

I have that lathe, Lee.. wanna buy another one? (It would require a Baja
vacation)

I always lock both the head and tail stock when aligning the centers..

Since I'm going to USE them locked, why adjust them loose?

My head stock rocks a lot when loose, but that's by choice... I have the bolt
adjustment for the banjo loose so that the handle goes down further to lock..
just gets in the way less if the head stock is slid up to the end, where I
usually have it..

Great lathe that has taken a LOT of use and abuse... you should get many years
of pleasure out of it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing