Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Cedar

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:59:15 -0800 (PST), JD
wrote:

I hadn't consider selling the blanks on ebay, good idea. The problem
is, every piece I've ever turned out of the blasted stuff
sells....quickly. Whether, we as craftsmen like the material or not,
the customers do. The problem I've had is putting a good finish on
that doesn't take an extremely long time to apply and finish (thus
eating up my profit margin). I agree with you about the wood looking
like a million other cedar trinket stores. I live 5 minutes from
Mammoth Cave National Park, I'll take the tourist dollar as fast as
anyone else will (yep, I'm making those 1 in a million pieces of crap
we all buy while on vacation and take home). Honestly, I hate cedar,
but I've got a bunch of it and no wood stove in the shop, so.... gonna
make some money from it somehow. Ebay might be the easier way to go.
I'll have to consider that.... or if someone would like to make some

What would you trade for? I've got a stockpile of silver maple and
weeping willow that's all dried... I'd have to look to make sure it
isn't cracked, but at the last check it all looked pretty good.
Neither is particularly rare or amazing, but then again, cedar isn't
either!