Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Pilot lights keep going out (Worcester)

On 17 Jan, 14:05, Stuart Noble
wrote:
Nick wrote:
I have a Worcester combi boiler which is about 11 years old. It is
under contract with B Gas. Recently it started blowing pilot out.

What happens is that if you turn on the hot water (tap or hot water)
its works ok for about 5 mins and then there is a clicking noise and
pilot and flames blow out. I then have to light the pilot by firing
the button 5-7 times. It will work again for about 4-5 mins and same
happens again - clicking noise, flames/pilot go out. This happens
consistently on hot water. If we use the central heating then it may
blow out 1 or 2 times in evening.

I have called out Bgas 3 times and they have not been able to fix it.
They have changed a thermostat and then a sensor but without luck.
They are now saying that the boiler is too old and needs replacing.
And CH also needs a power flush to get rid of debris. They say there
is no other remedy.

Now if there was debris that was causing the tripping then I would
expect this to happen more on the CH side rather then the hot water. I
would also expect the tripping to be random rather than consistent.

I am totally unhappy with B Gas being unable to find the fault and
telling me to replace boiler. Yes the boiler is old but it has had
about 60-70% of the components replaced in the last 2-3 years. I am
paying them 16.75GBP per month and I think they are not putting in the
effort to find the real fault.

One of the things I have noticed is that when we used the hot water
before, it used to get really hot after 4-5 mins and it used to go
into a rest mode and started up again after a minute or so. Its not
doing that - it just trips now. I told that to the B Gas engineer and
he repleced the sensor but it has not made any difference. Is it
possible that the internal is not receiving enough air (fan maybe
faulty)?

I think there must be another reason for all this other than the
debris.

Can you please give me some advice/pointers as I am going to call out
B Gas for the last time.

One wonders how realistic it is to expect BG engineers to know the ins
and outs of every model of boiler. Still, they've taken on the risk, and
* must find the solution. I'd be inclined to get written confirmation
from WB that spares are available for that model and pass that on to
whoever's in charge at BG (if anyone). It really isn't good enough to
take the money and then only want to fix the easy bits.- Hide quoted text -

WB told me they intend to supply spares for their boilers for 10 years
following the last production date.

To the OP, what model boiler is it?

Mathew