Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default Toilet with rain water?

David in Normandy wrote:
RobertL says...
On Jan 16, 9:46 pm, Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...

Ideally if the butt runs dry then the supply needs to
switch back to mains water (either manually or
automatically).
I thought about doing that, but it was ridiculously hard to comply with
the water regulations. If it were as simple as a double non-return valve
I'd have done it, too.

Does it need to comply with the water regs if it is not directly
connected to the water supply? I mean, does connection to the sewer
mean it has to comply?

Suppose you fed the loos ONLY from the water butt and also had a ball
valve in the water butt so if it got very low it was filled form the
mains.

Robert

I guess that would be perfectly legal. May be worth
considering.

Just a thought. Are you likely to run into problems when the ball valve
gets covered in rainwater. They are not normally used in a mode where
there is any alternative supply. I don't know if the regs would have
anything to say about this.

One solution might be to put the valve at the top of the water butt,
opposite the overflow but engineer a long reach ball that floats at a
much lower level.

Andrew