Posted to uk.d-i-y
Si[_2_] Si[_2_] is offline

Default Toilet with rain water?

In message
,
Martin Pentreath writes
On 17 Jan, 08:50, Si $3o&m wrote:

Simpler, cheaper and more reliable, if you want to reduce your mains
water usage why not build a composting loo and use none at all? The only
water mine uses is when I rinse the collecting buckets each week after
their contents are added to a compost heap at the end of the garden and
for that I use rain water.

See http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/garden_gallery.html.

Yuck, yuck, yuck! Maybe I'm irrationally immature about this,

Faecophobia

but the
idea of ****ting into a large bucket, however nicely it's decorated,
is something that keeps me away from music festivals, it's certainly
not a practice I would wish to adopt in my own bathroom!

As you can see from the photo gallery, for the end user a collecting
toilet is the same experience as a flushing one. I've got a lacquered
pine seat set on a varnished marine ply frame over a 5 gallon bucket.
This creates a height which is almost the same as a flushing loo.

The big big difference between this setup and festival loos is that at
festivals the loos often end having a pyramid of smelly **** greeting
you as you go to use them. With this method, anything which may be
considered offensive is hidden (and the smell absorbed) by the plant
covering material placed there by the previous user.

And who in
god's name invented the word humanure??

Probably JJ. It's an accurate description.

--
Si