Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default cheaper to use oil-filled heater and keep thermostat at 62?

In article
,
Joe wrote:

I'm not as tough as you think, the thermostat hasn't moved from 66,
it's just when she's not in the house I noticed that no one complained
about 62 degrees so I got to thinking if using a space heater for the
rooms the wife occupies could save me the extra 4 degrees elsewhere in
the house. What I'm not sure about is if lowering the thermostat in
the rest of the house and using a space heater will save any money due
to the higher electric cost. I guess I'll have to buy one and run it
for a month to see what the damage ends up being. I was just wondering
if anyone else had tried this.

Unless she stays in one room for hours on end, chasing her around with
the space heater all day and letting her shiver until it heats whichever
rooms she's in at the moment, sounds like a monumental PITA that will
have little beneficial impact on her comfort, your sanity, or the total
power bill.

One thing some of you ought to keep in mind when you're scoffing about
other people being cold when you're warm is this: FAT is a good
insulator.