Posted to alt.home.repair
Jordan[_2_] Jordan[_2_] is offline

Default Need a pro - no just a standard home inspector

Oh yes. The house has been "fully repainted" every few year. The house was
built in 85 and I bought it in 99. In 99 the paint was starting to peel and
by 2000 it was just falling right off. Right down to the wood (cedar
clapboard). Had the whole house painted in 01 and the company had to come
back in 03 and I had to paint a side in 05, a side in 06, and 07.

I don't think it is a problem with moisture coming from inside. Around the
kitchen and baths look the best. Low humidity inside the house. Moisture
coming from somewhere???

I can't tell where it is coming from, the painters I have hired could not
pick up on where the problem was even when I told them that there is a
serious problem coming from somewhere, and the house inspector I had when I
purchased the house did not pick up on it either. This is why I need to
know what other type of person other than a painter and an average home
inspector I can hire to take a look at this.

"Norminn" wrote in message
Jordan wrote:

I have a problem with the paint on the exterior of my house. It just
falls off every couple of years. I suspect that somehow moisture is
building up behind the clapboard, but I can't seen to find where it is
coming from. I could see it if the problem was on one side of the house
where there might be an undetected leak somewhere, but this problem is on
all 4 sides of the house.

When I had the house inspected when I purchased it there was no diagnoses
of the problem other than the paint being old (which it was not). When I
had a pro painter come out to take care of this they did not take care of
it despite all the extra case I paid to have them fix the issue.

I need to know who I need to have check the house to find and fix the
problem.

You certainly aren't repainting the entire house every couple of
years........are you spot painting
and having continual failure with that? Latex or oil? Does the peeling
occur at joints of the clapboards?

By the paint looking "old", it must have been chalky and faded? Possible
that the seller slapped
on a cheap paint or primer to sell. If you paint over chalk, or in
conditions the label warns against,
you can expect failure. If you know the brand of paint used, the paint
co. would probably take
a look.