Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default wtb: special tap

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:54:57 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Jon wrote:

I'm doing a job which requires me to tap a hole in prep for a schrader valve
core.
The thread, according to Schrader's website, is 0.206"-36tpi

This tap is not commonly available from stock.
I know that I can special order this tap, but seems to be an unnecessary
expense for a short run job

If anyone has any of these that they would like to sell, or knows of a
source, please contact me

Maybe a slightly different approach? What if the original part were redesigned
to accept a brazed-in tire valve? You can get a set of 4 all-metal tire valves
from Pep Boys for under $10, or could about 3 years ago anyway. Those of course
have the threads already in them.

Any time I need an adapter with a tire valve connection, I take an old
valve stem that the tire shop replaces every time they mount a tire,
cut the rubber off, wire brush it clean and silver solder it into a
quarter inch hole in whatever fitting I am adapting to. No cost except
for heat and a bit of silver solder.

Alternatively, you could try making a one-off tap.

Grant

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada