Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default Tapcon or Powder Actuated for attaching metal boxes to concrete

"The Davenport's" wrote in message

wrote in message
I'm installing lots of electrical boxes to the concrete walls in my
basement. About 29 boxes and 58 one hole straps to hold the 6 foot
length of 1/2" EMT conduit. Choices are a rotary hammer with SDS bit
and Tapcon screws. I already own the Makita rotary hammer, bought for
this job a year ago. Haven't used the rotary hammer drill yet but I
have installed electrical boxes with Tapcon and a hammer drill in the
past and hated the hammer drill. Or purchase a Remington powder
actuated tool and use the powder and nails. $20 for the hammer hit
Remington, $40 for the trigger model that looks like the hammer model,
or $70 for the trigger model that looks like a pistol. I've used
powder tools to attach 2x4s to concrete and they worked great for
that. Cost isn't really a concern since these amounts are not
material. Concern is more time, neatness, effort, frustration, etc.

So for attaching 29 handy boxes and the 58 conduit clips to 8 year old
concrete walls, which would be the most pleasant to use? Concrete has
that brick mold look to it from the forms if that matters.

If powder actuated, does it make sense to get the trigger models so
placement of the hndy box or clip on the wall will be easier than with
the hammer model?

Don't really have an opinion on drill vs gun, but if you go with the gun,
you will REALLY thank yourself for getting the trigger fired. Not all
places to place pins have room to swing a hammer.

Mike

I agree, I have used both and have found each has its own advantage in
certain circumstances. Have supplies for both systems and you cannot go
wrong. I have used the hammer model, and I don't really like it. It has a
tendency to slip around when trying to hold the item you want to anchor
while holding the device and swinging a hammer hard enough to fire the
cartridge. You really need at least three hands to work it. A trigger
operated model should make it a little easier when you don't have to aim a
hammer swing at it. At least, that is the route I would take. One caution,
though, 8 year old concrete may be getting a little hard and brittle causing
some nails to blow out a crater rather than penetrate the concrete,
especially if they used hard granite aggregate in the mix. Test out a number
of different types of loads, or you may have to end up with Tapcons if you
have problems.