Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default wtb: special tap

Grant Erwin wrote:
Jon wrote:

I'm doing a job which requires me to tap a hole in prep for a schrader
valve core.
The thread, according to Schrader's website, is 0.206"-36tpi

This tap is not commonly available from stock.
I know that I can special order this tap, but seems to be an
unnecessary expense for a short run job

If anyone has any of these that they would like to sell, or knows of a
source, please contact me

Maybe a slightly different approach? What if the original part were
redesigned
to accept a brazed-in tire valve? You can get a set of 4 all-metal tire
valves
from Pep Boys for under $10, or could about 3 years ago anyway. Those of
course
have the threads already in them.

Alternatively, you could try making a one-off tap.

That sounds cool. How do you make a tap in the home shop?

Chris