Posted to alt.home.repair
hobbes hobbes is offline

Default Q on septic system maintenance

On Jan 16, 1:24*pm, "Mamba" wrote:
Recently I was at the local hardware store buying some Rid-ex for our
cabin's septic system. *(It is a fairly occassional use place, and we have
no laundry facitlites there, hence limited grey water outage.)

I met an aquaintance there who is mainly a septic system
contractor/excavator. *He noted my pending purchase, and warned me that
Rid-ex and other septic system treatments were largely a waste of money, and
that they in fact conflicted with the natural bugs that grow in the septic
tank and break down wastes.

At the time, it sounded good and I decided not to buy the product. *Now I
think a second opinion would be in order. *Anybody have any solid (no pun
intended) info to support or refute the claim that septic system additives
do not enhance the performance of the system?

Tnx

Hi,

I have heard also that septic systems have natural bugs / bacteria
that
normally do the work. Flushing alot of chemicals down the toilet that
kills them
will sort of damage that natural effect.

My 2 cents is if your septic system is working O.K. it is safer not to
mess with it.
We live in a non-sewer area, and most guys just basically leave their
systems alone except to have them pumped out every two to three
years .....

Best, Mike.