Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default cheaper to use oil-filled heater and keep thermostat at 62?

On Jan 16, 10:14 am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

I work in an unheated basement all day and the temp ranges from 55-62
degrees. I've grown accustomed to the temp with an array of fleece
pants, jackets and socks. My children don't seem to be bothered by
cold temps. The problem is my wife, she cannot handle any temperature
lower than 66 degrees. I feel it's a little wasteful to turn up the
heat for the whole house (we have one-zone heat) when she is the only
one uncomfortable so I was considering an oil-filled heater to follow
her around. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or will it be a wash
cost-wise. Has anyone else tried this?

I assume when you say oil-filled, you are talking about an electric
heater. Chances are that electric is going to be far more expensive than
oil. It will be heating a smaller area so it may not be too bad and it will
make heating the rest of the a little less expensive, but overall you are
going to save money if you can heat that area without going to electric to
do it, even if it means heating the rest of the home a little more.

Do you have air or water distributing the heat from the central furnace?

I suspect a professional HVAC man could make some suggestions that would
allow you to get more heat in the basement without replacing the current
furnace.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

It's hot water heat, I don't need the heat in the basement. It only
gets unbearable when the temp gets down to the 55 range at the end of
the winter and the ground is saturated with cold water. I'm just
looking for a way to keep my wife warm without having to warm the
entire house. It's her hands that are the problem.