Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default cheaper to use oil-filled heater and keep thermostat at 62?

On Jan 16, 12:13*am, buffalobill wrote:
On Jan 15, 7:36 pm, Joe wrote:

I work in an unheated basement all day and the temp ranges from 55-62
degrees. I've grown accustomed to the temp with an array of fleece
pants, jackets and socks. My children don't seem to be bothered by
cold temps. The problem is my wife, she cannot handle any temperature
lower than 66 degrees. I feel it's a little wasteful to turn up the
heat for the whole house (we have one-zone heat) when she is the only
one uncomfortable so I was considering an oil-filled heater to follow
her around. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or will it be a wash
cost-wise. Has anyone else tried this?

buffalo ny: it's actually 71 degrees, so you may be wrong, but read
on: a wife is never wrong, and she may change her mind, but personal
comfort is unrelated to a democratic vote of your household
population. comfort is often related to a combination of many things
including temperature, humidity, barometer reading, and oxygen levels
as well as frequency of fresh air changes. boost your home's
insulation for immediate energy savings in dollars, and zone your
heat. adding silent warmth from a brooder lamp's 250 watt infrared
bulb will warm her frozen skin while you skiers thrive without
thinsulate outerwear fromwww.LLBEAN.COM
{get a warmer answer of what she wants, or you'll be on the receiving
end of more than her cold shoulder, mister! * -ann landers never said
this. }
the 71 degrees standard and more are at:http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/studen...tes/Thermal/th...
-b

I heat 99% with wood (oil this year $3.21/gal). I will be sittign
around in t-shirt and wife "I'm cold, put some wood on". I think she
would complain if the house was 85 degrees.

Harry K