Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Fuel flow meter for cars .. ? Make one

"mike" wrote in message
Chuck wrote:
"Geir Holmavatn" wrote in message
Hi,
Have all those good ol' 2" fuel flow instruments with separate sensor
been wept off the market and replaced by cruise control computers..?

Anyone knowing where to find a fuel-flow meter with sensor for gasoline
with display in European units: milliliters per minute or liters per
hour..?

Thanks for tips and comments

geir

Hi,

Fuel flow is porportional to the Duty Cycle of the injector signal. A
volt
meter across across an injector will give you uncalibrated fuel flow,
Assuming the time delay to open is = to the closing delay and the
waveform
is square. Web search indicates typical wave form is sq. with a 70v
inductive kick. Current rise time ~1.5ms so I guess the on time is long
resulting in a positive offset. Anyone know how = the times are? The
injectors take .6A so I'd start with a 470 ohm R and a zener or LM431
filter battery changes. For relative calibration: connect across
battery =
100%. Good enough for my needs: check effect of tire change, syn oil, wax
job, etc..

Check http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/f...ectorguide.htm for
injector
flow rates and discussion of on/off delay..

Chuck

What's an injector? Some of us don't have 'em and still want a diy fuel
metering system.

**Then you need a fuel flow sensor.

Trevor Wilson