Posted to sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Question of TV technology, if anyone can answer two questions

wrote:
This has to do with why they do what they do. I consider myself

fairly
knowedgable on that subject, but noone knows everytthing so here

goes.

snip CRT stuff

What I am here for is to have holes shot in my theory. There must

be a
reason, and money is no longer it. Many techs still recommend CRT
based RPTVs. There will still be a demand. But they could do

1080p !

JURB

I have two questions.

Why would anyone give 2 hoots about CRTs? The optics are crap. There
isn't enough light even from 3 mono CRTs. Convergence and geometry is
mediocre at best. Stability is poor and as you mentioned, reliability
is poor.

Question 2. Have you looked at the newer display types? Even the
'worst' one will blow CRTs out of the water.

We have a 4 year old Samsung DLP that has had one lamp fail and a
color wheel in 9100 hrs operation. Total parts cost $200. Total
repair time 2 hours. Its brighter and clearer than ANY CRT based
RPTV set ever. The 'convergence' is flawless and the geometry error is
unmeasurable. Plus it has a DVI input for 1:1 pixel mapping from a
modest PC that doubles as a high def video recorder. And it weighs
less. And it uses less power. And it has a smaller footprint. And it
has no fluids to leak. And it fits into a minivan. And it has no high
voltage to attract dust. And it makes less RFI.

OK, I didn't convince you. I, however, am done with CRTs and judging
by what is in the stores, I'm not alone.

GG