Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:25:42 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"Stealth Pilot" wrote:

(clip) you guys still have binder twine and bailing
wire dont you? (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bailing wire is used for emptying water from a boat. Baling wire is used
for tying up a boat. I don't think it will stop a gasoline leak. ;-)

And you sure as HELL don't use any sort of metallic wire for baling
up straw, or oat hay, or alfalfa, or timothy hay, or anything else
that might be feed or bedding for any animal - one little snipped off
piece of wire accidentally gets inside said animal and you can easily
have a sick or dead animal, and/or a huge veterinarian bill for saving
or trying to save them.

Hay farmers use sisal or synthetic twine to tie up their bales, and
have done so for many decades. You would do well to remember this.

When I do any electrical work in a barn or animal pasture setting I
have to be almost paranoid-level careful to not drop or leave any wire
cuttings lying around, and make sure the other workers don't either,
and they know why - copper wire can do it just as easily as steel.

-- Bruce --