Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Baseboard clunk

John McGaw wrote:
Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:
Ok, so first time in my life I'm a homeowner, and also first time I
have baseboard heat. The problem is the noise that the baseboard makes
when the thermostat turns the heat off.

snip...

Hmmm... Not the sort of zone-valve setup I was expecting.

Looking at your picture I will have to say that you definitely have a
valve type I'm not familiar with and it certainly could be a fast-moving
solenoid type after all. If so, your banging might be totally different
that what I experienced. But if so, since it is right out in the open it
may be a lot easier to trace and repair. Can you work with someone to
test the action of one of the offending valves by cycling the thermostat
on and off? If you are right next to the valve you can place your hand
on it or on the pipe next to it and actually feel if there is any sudden
motion which might explain the bang. If the pipe is moving back and
forth under the influence of the water you might be able to tell if it
is hitting against anything (sheet metal, edge of a hole, bracket, etc).
If so, a bit of foam insulation of the sort used on water pipes stuffed
into the gap may dampen the vibrations.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]