Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default just turned it on. (no pun intended)

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Welcome to the addiction. Some would argue, and likely wll, but most
beginner sets will start you off well. Get high speed steel, abreviated HSS,
and look for a parting tool, skew, spindle gouge or gouges, scraper and
roughing gouge. These should be named on the box. A bowl gouge will likely
not be in the set but an Oland tool is easily made and just as handy. Come
on over to my site and look around. I hope to get the beginnings of a
beginner's site up shortly but there is a lot of good beginner stuff here.
O, make or buy a sharpening jig. Trust me, save some grief here. Make or buy
the jig and get a good face protector. You are going to get hooked fast.

I'll second what Darrell said. Go over
to his site aroundthewoods.com There
are bunch of knowledgable and helpful
people on this NG, and Darrell is among
the best.

Not only for what he says on the group,
but that site is nothing short of
fantastic in the wealth of information
he's put up. You could literally spend
hours there, and still not get all he says.

I started with his sharpening jig, which
is possible the best thing there for a
newbie.

--
Tanus