Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default 1966 Buick Skylark Crackd Exhaust Manifold

Skylark Joe wrote:
I have a 1966 Buick Skylark that ive been in the process of restoring,
while installing a new Y-Pipe the exhuast mainfold cracked. It cracked
by the bolt hole so now it is a slot not a hole. Evertime i try to put
a bolt in it slips right out the slot. I was talking to my local
automotive machine shop and he says just mig weld the bolt it up with
steel wire! Dosent sound too promising to me. Now the manifolds have
never been removed so i dont want ot remove it and crack the bolts.
Can is be welded on the car safely and with a mig Thank You

I mig'ed a crack in the exhaust of my Geo Storm three years ago and it's
still holding. Run the car for about five minutes before trying to do
the weld. This pre-heats the cast iron. I used plain old flux cored
wire to seal mine. Tain't pretty but the smog guy hasn't said anything
about an exhaust leak. :-)

Jim Chandler