Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Rusted gears usable?

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Gunner wrote:

I just "fixed" an elderly Milwaukee right angle Hole Hawg. Thing had
the power cord amputated at the handle, the trigger switch was cracked
into 2 pieces (JB Weld) and the reduction gears and bearings were
rusted into an amorphous mass. Found head down in a 5 gallon
bucket...under an eve.

I left it soaking head down..in a bucket of diesel for a couple weeks,
then hammered the gear cover off and the gears apart. All them needle
bearings...mass of rust. Wire wheeled the gears until I could see the
teeth again, soaked the head in PBlaster for another week, then
reassembled it. Sounds like a coffee can filled with #3 granite..but
since its only going to drill a few holes a year...I can live with it.
I shudder to think of what Milwaulkee will want for a complete bearing
package..and the armature needs a turning... so when it goes..it goes
into the circular file. But I figure the tired old bitch will smooth
out a little bit and then run for a few more years.

Gunner

Gunner, have you ever used a variable DC power supply and an ink
eraser to polish a worn commutator? I've done it to hundreds of vacuum
cleaner motors, as well as power tools. I connect the motor to the
power supply, then bring the voltage up slowly till the motor is
turning, slowly. Then I use the ink eraser to polish the copper
segments.

That sounds cool. Does the ink eraser just work as an abrasive, or is
there some chemical action. What chemical is in an ink eraser?

Best wishes,

Chris