Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default just turned it on. (no pun intended)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:58:38 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Welcome to the addiction. Some would argue, and likely wll, but most
beginner sets will start you off well. Get high speed steel, abreviated HSS,
and look for a parting tool, skew, spindle gouge or gouges, scraper and
roughing gouge. These should be named on the box. A bowl gouge will likely
not be in the set but an Oland tool is easily made and just as handy. Come
on over to my site and look around. I hope to get the beginnings of a
beginner's site up shortly but there is a lot of good beginner stuff here.
O, make or buy a sharpening jig. Trust me, save some grief here. Make or buy
the jig and get a good face protector. You are going to get hooked fast.

Good point about the face protection, Mr. Feltmate...

I like the way Bill Grumbine puts it in his bowl turning video.. something like:
"If you don't want to wear face protection, your first project better be a white
cane"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing