Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] letterman@invalid.com is offline

Default Are higher grade bolts more brittle?

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:10:14 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Stupendous Man" wrote:
This brings to mind a question I have had for a long time.
Our local supply store (USA) carries Grade 8 (gold), Grade 5 (gray),
and the common (standard-silver) bolts. My question is what grade are
the common bolts? Or dont they grade them?

Unmarked bolts are usually grade 3, or worse.

I made the mistake of buying a bunch of the 1/4" bolts out of the bulk bin
at Home Despot a few years ago. They came apart tightening them with a 1/4"
ratchet drive, and looked like pot metal on the inside.

I don't look to HD for fastners anymore.

Jon

I'm a farmer and my tractor loader was always breaking bolts. THey
are constatly lifting one ton hay bales, pushing heavy snow and dirt,
and all sorts of hard work. Last summer I got fed up with breaking
down in the middle of jobs, often out in the field. I removed every
bolt from the loader and one by one replaced them with grade 8 bolts
and nuts. I wanted to put locking insert nuts on bolts that tend to
loosen, but could not find them in grade 8, so I used common grade 8
nuts, and put the standard locking nuts on top. I have not had one
single breakdown since. It may have cost twice as much as regular
bolts, but it sure beats the hassles I was having and likely paid for
itself the first time I used the loader because I didn't damage
anything. For example I was lifting a large hay bale onto my pickup a
couple years ago, when the bucket snapped a few bolts and the bale
fell and busted off my tailgate. I dont even bother to buy regular
bolts anymore for machinery. I only use them for decorative steel
items and bolting stuff to wood.

My only concern about the grade 8 bolts are how hard they will be to
grind off if I ever have to remove one that rusted. I have never done
it, but it's easy to use a grinder on a common bolt, but wonder how
well those grade 8s grind off???? I dont have a cutting torch.