Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] boltmail@mailbolt.com is offline

Default Part P needed?

Quoted from some other thread wrote:

Local Authorities are well aware of the Approved Documents. *However:
a) They aren't law.

No, but the Approved Document is simply pointing out that the
underlying law does not give LA's power to levy such charges, which
are therefore unlawful.

b) BCOs (mostly) have no more idea of electrical installations than
the average person; some more, some less. *To employ someone directly
or indirectly would cost money; to train the staff up even more.

Irrelevant

c) A Local Authority doesn't have to carry out the judgment of the
Ombudsman, so any appeal wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

Wrong, toothless, remedy.

Similarly, an appeal for a determination to the Secretary of State
isn't possible due to the way the legislation's worded.

Wrong remedy

In my Authority, it's been decided at manager level that we ain't
testing, the punter has to get it tested, and no amount of waving
Approved Documents in the faces of the guys on site is going to change
that. *Tough titty, hard cheese, you ain't getting your Completion
Certificate until we have that bit of paper from you!

If I was in your Authority, your LA would be on the end of a judicial
review - if I could be arsed. That would sort your managers out.