Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Need a pro - no just a standard home inspector

On Jan 15, 7:09*am, "Jordan" wrote:
I have a problem with the paint on the exterior of my house. *It just falls
off every couple of years. *I suspect that somehow moisture is building up
behind the clapboard, but I can't seen to find where it is coming from. *I
could see it if the problem was on one side of the house where there might
be an undetected leak somewhere, but this problem is on all 4 sides of the
house.

When I had the house inspected when I purchased it there was no diagnoses of
the problem other than the paint being old (which it was not). *When I had a
pro painter come out to take care of this they did not take care of it
despite all the extra case I paid to have them fix the issue.

I need to know who I need to have check the house to find and fix the
problem.

Do you have high humidity, poor ventilation and/or bad vapour barriers
on the 'inside' (warm side) of the walls/ceilings of the house?

Recall a case where huband was continually painting clapboard siding
on outside of an older style house, with non breathable marine paint.
Which 'blistered' continually! No internal vapour barriers!

Wife was inside using latex paint, because easier to clean up, but
which is less or non effective as a vapour barrier.

In absence of vapor barriers to keep warm and therefore moist inside
air from permeating through the walls some types of non-latex (i.e.
oil paint) are said to be partially effective.

However with vapour barriers we have used permeable stain on pine and
cedar clapboard for some 50 years, with no peeling or paint bubbling
problems at all.