Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default Are higher grade bolts more brittle?

David Billington wrote:

What is the status of daN. I have run across it a few times before and
finally looks it up, as I didn't know what it was, decanewton 1daN =
10N. Now the data sheets make sense.

That is legal. da (deca) is the multiplier (10) and N the unit (Newton). But
at least here in Germany daN is very rare. Anyhow, the reason why it might
be used is that the number is almost (0.981) the same as kp (no more legal,
non-SI).
The reason why people stick to N/mm^2 is, that the numbers are more handy
compared to the Pa (N/m^2). Also, math in mechanical engineering often
enough is done in mm and not in m, as dimensions are in mm. Anyhow, all can
well be scaled and there is no conversion with weird factors. Just a thing
of convenience, just depends on how you prefer to calculate.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de