Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] 3phase@none.com is offline

Default Are higher grade bolts more brittle?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:55:07 -0600, RoyJ
wrote:

The usual argument among the off road groups is that the lower grade (US
grade 5) bolts bend rather than break like the higher grade (US grade 8)
bolts. That's true but the grade 8 bolts take more stress than the grade
5 bolts do before they break. The off roaders like the bolts that bend,
it gives them a visual cue that they are about to do destructive things
to their rigs. But that means that the bolts that hold (and bend) are
the lower level items. And the argument goes on.

This brings to mind a question I have had for a long time.
Our local supply store (USA) carries Grade 8 (gold), Grade 5 (gray),
and the common (standard-silver) bolts. My question is what grade are
the common bolts? Or dont they grade them?

What is the difference in strength between Grade 8, Grade 5 and common
bolts? Is there a website or file I can download with all the facts?
(Please use american definations, (such as POUNDS) not metric. I dont
understand metrics..... To me, killagram sounds like murder and is far
too violent for my tastes.)