Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tonym924@gmail.com is offline

Default Rubber idler wheel rubber restoration

On Jan 12, 12:28 am, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
I've been volunteered to resurrect a Gerard A75 turntable and a Sony
250 reel to reel tape deck.

Both the turntable and tape recorder have rubber idler wheels that
have turned hard as a rock. Is it possible to soften the rubber with
some chemical?

About 25 years ago, I had a Nordmende pinch roller that didn't respond
to the usual surface treatments, so a coworker tried TCE or MEK. The
trick was that he used either heat and/or pressure/vacuum (don't
remember anymore what the chamber was) to induce the TCE to
penetrate. After the TCE the pinch roller was clean and pliable, but
shrunken. So I followed another recommendation to soak it in brake
fluid, and sure enough, it plumped right up. YMMV, no warranty
expressed or implied, etc.

TM