Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Rusted gears usable?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:29:50 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

I'd run it as is. ...

Can't do that - it's bound up with rust. Minimum of breaking it down,
cleaning off REALLY heavy grease, removing rust, & reassembly. That's
the time I didn't want to waste if it was a lost cause.

Get it all broken down and cleaned up before you make your Final
Decision. Or go buy any replacement parts. You don't want to be
putting it back together and THEN find the cracked Pinkney Flange.

When it blows, I don't think it'll be from pits on the gears.

That seems to be the consensus, so I'm gonna do it.

The gears are one thing, they'll run and bed in with each other if a
bit rough if kept well greased. After the 'second break in' clean the
gearbox out thoroughly and regrease.

But the bearings are quite another matter - that can cause a self-
destruct that wrecks the gearbox housing and lunches all the remaining
good bits. Take it all apart and clean it up, then go find some
replacement bearings. Don't spend a wad on ultra-precision ABEC Class
4 Zillion tailstock class bearings, just get something that works.
Then put it back together and use it.

-- Bruce --