Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ro Grrr Ro Grrr is offline

Default I wanna build a Dump Bed Trailer

Hi Iggy
Thanks for your response

On 2008-01-15, Ro Grrr RoGrrr wrote:

I recently bought a dump bed that came off a 1 ton pickup. It is 6
feet wide and 8 feet long, inside dimensions, with a 42 inch high
headache rack on the front. Full control tailgate. My plan is to build
a trailer frame under it.

I plan to get some of it and make/mount a frame on a couple of 7000
pound axles to carry the dump bed.

IGGY: This is a relatively small bed. Wy would you want to have two
7,200 lb
axles under it? Would you realistically need to carry that much?

RoGrrr: The bed is small but alone, it will carry 48 cubic feet of
material - almost 2 yards without piling it up in a mound. Then I plan
to raise the side rails a foot or maybe even 2 which will increase the
capacity considerably. Consider the weight of crushed limestone at 150
Lbs per Cubic foot. Thats about 4000 Lbs per yard. And when I raise
the side rails, I should have close to 5 tons on the trailer.

So, I figured that for about a grand I will have my materials to build
it. However, if my time were worth 25 cents an hour, I would make out
all right on it.

IGGY: Are you going to get axles (with brakes) at scrap price too?

RoGrrr: I already have the axles. They are house trailer axles and
have brakes. I got them
for about a hundo so Im ahead of the deal there.

However, they call this stuff hobby, so I will have fun with it and
prolly end up calculating my time out to be around ten cents an hour.

Lessee, The truck rails will cost under $150 each (I might be able to
get by with one but I'll prolly have to buy two) and I already have
the axles and tires. The bed cost me $400 and I need the pump -
another $400.

Well, I guess I'll need a receiver and a jack and some lights.

Hmmmm

Well, by the time I get done, maybe I'll have well over TWO THOUSAND
wrapped up in it.

IGGY: Sounds about right
I made a trailer, it was fun. Enjoyed especially the welding part.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Home...th-M105A2-Bed/

RoGrrr: I recall seeeing that when you built it. I have access to
those M105 trailers (I work for the USGovt and they have surplus
auctions where I work. Those trailers typically bring about $1000) but
I also have most of what it takes to build the trailer and I want to
build it exactly the way I want it. And I dont think the 105 will
give me what I want. And I dont know what the total capacity of the
single axle 105 is. Im sure that I can load everything I need with my
axles.

IGGY: To me, a dump trailer is a much riskier project than a fixed
unibody
bed trailer (which is what I have). A lot fewer attachment points and
you sacrifice all that rigidity that you could get. I also thought
about making it a dump trailer. Glad I did not.

RoGrrr: Living in Chicago, you probably dont have the NEED for the
type of trailer I do. I need to haul gravel to maintain my lane. It is
almost a half mile long and this is an ongoing task to keep it in
decent shape. The quarry is about 20 miles from me and it is all
country roads so I sont have to worry about Semis running over me. I
can make as many trips as needed and get exactly what size stone I
need, and dump it exactly WHERE I WANT IT.

And I can build the trailer as strong as I need and the lack of
attachment points should not be a problem since I will be pulling it
fairly slowly over the roadways. Only when I get onto my lane will the
lack of attachment points become ANY consideration and at the walking
speed I will be pulling it to spread the gravel, it wont matter
anyway.