Posted to alt.home.repair
hobbes hobbes is offline

Default Hose Across driveway

On Jan 14, 6:06 pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:36:16 -0800 (PST), hobbes

wrote:
Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

They all will. Even the cheapest will let you drive over it 30 to 600
times before it starts to leak. So use the least valuable hose you
have, and report back to us how many times you drove over it before
your grass was established and you stopped, or before it leaks,
whichever comes first. I'll bet it doesn't leak at all.

The 1 x 2's, or 2 x 4's, depending on the diameter of the hose, do
sound like a good idea.

But this is a lot like putting an electric cord under a carpet. Or
driving over one. The cord under the carpet will last probably for
years, but the problem, when it does fail, you won't know it in
advance and it can start a fire. When your hose starts to fail, it
will spray water out the little hole, or the big hole, which will run
down the driveway into the gutter and into the drain, until you get
home and stop it. Or maybe you'll be home, or be arriving home, and
stop it right away.

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

Thanks to all for your kind help.

Much obliged. Warmest regards, Mike.