Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default How to get my money back from a jerk contractor...

That's fine when you have a dispute with your neighbor. If you read the post
from "H", that is typically what's going to happen to you in small claims,
against any disreputable contractor. The laws simply protect these creeps.
If you can force him to negotiate, or have to pay for his own attorney,
you've at least got a little leverage

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
The dollar limit for small claims around here is $5000.00. Sounds
worthwhile to me.

"RBM" wrote in message
If the dollar amount is small enough that it can be held in small claims,
it's probably not worth the bother. Even getting a judgment in your
favor, doesn't put a dime in your pocket. Truly sleazy contractors have
their assets and yours in places that can't be touched. At least in
standard court, he would have to hire a lawyer to represent him. That's
gonna cost him, and I believe is his best chance of forcing a settlement

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
news
"RBM" wrote in message
These situations are rarely completely one sided. I would compile a
list of all the failings of the contractor, have a competent attorney
send him the list in a letter seeking a fair settlement, and hope one
can be reached and you get something back. The alternative is to go to
court, which at best takes the money from the contractor and gives it
to your attorney.

If he goes to small claims court, he doesn't need an attorney. If he's
in NY, there's a good chance the town justice won't have any legal
training, so he'll be on equal footing.