Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5390 Ignoramus5390 is offline

Default I wanna build a Dump Bed Trailer

On 2008-01-15, Ro Grrr RoGrrr wrote:

I recently bought a dump bed that came off a 1 ton pickup. It is 6
feet wide and 8 feet long, inside dimensions, with a 42 inch high
headache rack on the front. Full control tailgate. My plan is to build
a trailer frame under it.

I plan to get some of it and make/mount a frame on a couple of 7000
pound axles to carry the dump bed.

This is a relatively small bed. Wy would you want to have two 7,200 lb
axles under it? Would you realistically need to carry that much?

So, I figured that for about a grand I will have my materials to build
it. However, if my time were worth 25 cents an hour, I would make out
all right on it.

Are you going to get axles (with brakes) at scrap price too?

However, they call this stuff hobby, so I will have fun with it and
prolly end up calculating my time out to be around ten cents an hour.

Lessee, The truck rails will cost under $150 each (I might be able to
get by with one but I'll prolly have to buy two) and I already have
the axles and tires. The bed cost me $400 and I need the pump -
another $400.

Well, I guess I'll need a receiver and a jack and some lights.

Hmmmm

Well, by the time I get done, maybe I'll have well over TWO THOUSAND
wrapped up in it.

Sounds about right

I made a trailer, it was fun. Enjoyed especially the welding part.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Home...th-M105A2-Bed/

To me, a dump trailer is a much riskier project than a fixed unibody
bed trailer (which is what I have). A lot fewer attachment points and
you sacrifice all that rigidity that you could get. I also thought
about making it a dump trailer. Glad I did not.